Caring for Your Gold Vermeil Jewelry and Sterling Silver Jewelry
Gold Vermeil (Gold Plated Sterling Silver)
Gold vermeil (pronounced: Vermay) is sterling silver that has been gold-plated. Our gold vermeil jewelry is made from 18K gold inlaid over sterling silver. To keep your pieces as pristine as possible, we recommend reducing exposure to moisture; do not swim or shower in your jewelry. As with any plated jewelry that is not solid gold, exposure to water and moisture can tarnish the metal.
Tips when Caring for Your Gold Vermeil Jewelry:
- Avoid sleeping, swimming, showering, exercising in your jewelry.
- Avoid perfume, makeup, hairspray, lotions, particularly sunscreen and other chemicals getting on your jewelry.
- Store jewelry in a dry place. Never store your jewelry in the bathroom because of the humidity.
- Store jewelry separately so it doesn't scratch other jewelry and do not hang jewelry on a brass jewelry stand as it rubs away plating.
- After each wear, gently wipe off make-up and skin oils with a dry cloth being sure not to overwork. Never use abrasives, chemicals or products to clean your jewelry as alcohol based products can tarnish and damage gold plating.
- Remember this rule, always last on, first off.
All sterling silver can tarnish or oxidize, but can easily be brought back to its original shine. Dip it in jewelry cleaner and gently wipe it down with a soft cloth or mix a paste of three parts baking soda to one part water. Wet the silver and apply the mixture with a soft cloth, rinse, and dry.